Monday, 23 January 2012

Outer London Fund Round Two Disappointment - show must go on!


Whitton has missed out on funding in a second phase of grants to Greater London boroughs from Mayor Boris Johnson’s Outer London Fund.

The Council won £1.2 million in funding in the first round of grants last year, more than any other borough, after three submitted bids were approved. Thanks to the first round funding, the street scene in Twickenham, Whitton and Barnes is already being improved to create a better environment for local traders. However projects which the Council hoped would receive round two funding will be reviewed. The Council hopes central Government funding could be available, and the authority’s own money could also be used to fund some schemes.

Whitton ward coucillor Gareth Elliott said: "While the loss of round two funding is a set back we mustn't let it deviate us from our goal of reinvigorating Whitton. Already we have achieved so much and with the uplift strategy still in place i will ensure that we continue to build on the good work already achieved."

Lord True, Leader of Richmond Council, said: “We are naturally disappointed that we have not repeated our remarkable success in the first round. However, no doubt the GLA will have felt the need to balance contributions across London.

“Further contributions from the Mayor would have been a major fillip to our plans for improvement in the areas of the bids, but this is not the end of the story. The Council will be considering how to take the ideas forward along with others in our village plans programme. The emerging plans will need to take into account the implications of this announcement.

“We are still grateful for the contributions we received in the first round – and the benefits of the Mayor’s fund will be seen this year on the streets of the borough.”